Student Housing Association
The object of the Association
The object of the Association is the instigation and maintenance
of ecumenical student houses with the aim to encourage German and
foreign students to live together in house sharing communities.
Thereby, contributing and furthering international understanding.
It is a non profit organisation charging rents at cost price.
All confessions are welcome.
You can help the Ecumenical Student Housing Association to achieve
its goal in contributing towards international understanding with
Bank: Evangelische Darlehensgenossenschaft Kiel
Bank code :210 602 37
Account number: 67814
Board of Directors
From left to right:
Chairman: Reiner Plorin, Judge, retired
Substitute: Jürgen Hohnke, former Sales Manager
Treasurer: Emanuel Bertling, qualified Bank Clerk
Member: Marieluise Weinmann, Teacher
Member: Klaus Pietsch, Teacher, retired
Member: Peter Betker, Fiscal and Financial Expert
|The Board of Directors meet regularly to discuss
and pass orders on both running and future projects. The Board of
Directors work on an honorary voluntary basis.
of the Association
The Ecumenical Student Housing Association
was founded in 1957. It was born out of the initiative of Carl
Malsch, who was a student pastor at the time, and dedicated
members of the protestant university community. His aim was
to alleviate the housing problems of foreign students by furthering
flat sharing communities where both German and foreign students
live together. Therefore, from the outset of the Association
half of the students housed have always been from foreign countries.
Pastor Carl Malsch
It began 1957 with an old ammunition factory in
Großborstel which the city of Hamburg presented to Pastor
Carl Malsch at his disposal. In 1958 the protestant State Church
bequeathed the Association an old villa in Othmarscher Kirchenweg.
Eleven students moved in. However, it was soon enlarged; the last
addition being the “new block” with five community
shared flats in 1997. Today there are 89 students in all, living
The Überseekolleg was opened in 1964 in Alsterdorf, it was
extended in 1966 so that today 102 students are living there.
In the first years, preparation courses on “Serving Overseas”
were held for university graduates.
Further informationen about Pastor
Carl Malsch (in German).